Welcome to the SHU blog of ELI 2008!

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Remember the Alamo?

Well, I don't really need to, cos I can see it from my hotel room window! I like Texans, they put tip top Educause accommodation sooo close to the landmarks. So, here on the right is the shot from my hotel room window -->


Can't see the Alamo??? well it is that stone building in the middle just beyond the "slightly greener than the rest" grass and behind that great big tree in the middle. Just tilt your head slightly, close one eye and squint around that tree, and you too could be seeing this - honest!!



Of course we went to check it out, to make sure it really was behind the tree. Not the most exciting historical building, but y'know, it is the alamo and no one should forget that.
(btw - no plaque to commemorate the historic visit by Ozzy Osbourne to the Alamo, but undoubtedly, San Antonio is the tat capital of Texas, for every cliche a product and for every product a super-sized Texas version!!! Watch out for the competitions, people, the phrase "excellent prizes" has never meant soooooo much!!!)

4 comments:

Louise said...

feeling sad that no one has been blown away by the excellent view of the alamo from my window - go on, admit it, I should sell the picture to the Alamo Visitors Centre as a new postcard design.

smodge said...

Louise - face it, it won't pass the aspden-gissing test - take heart though, the second one is bottom tastic.

Louise said...

I thought I could pretend that the dirty hotel room window was really some fancy "I meant to do that, you know" lens filter.

gs said...

oi! smodge! stop dissing photos in other people's names.

i think the view from the window is just *fabulous*. i particularly liked the look of the GTM (gradiated texan muck) filter that you used to give it that authentic look. and following richard's demo of the IVE this morning, i was particularly enjoying tilting my head and squinting while imagining wearing a head tracking device. getting some very strange looks in the learning centre...which may, of course, have nothing to do with the head tilting...