Welcome to the SHU blog of ELI 2008!

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Education Publishing: Moving from the 18th to the 21st Century in One Step

keynote - Bob Young is CEO of Lulu (and previously from redhat) http://www.lulu.com/ - space for self publishing
OK, doesn't seem to be about anything at all quite yet - so I'm a bit distracted (or just flexing my CPA muscles)
- looks like the competitions have got too hard - I'm gonna try and swoop in a get/give some "power points"
- Quote from twitter: "is it back? is it reeeeeally back? I've missed my ELI twitterers metatwittercognitive thoughts!" - now there is a word and half (well actually 2 complete words)!!
- also looks like the twitterati don't like the keynote - he thinks he is a lot funnier than anybody else in the room seems to. Interesting twitter stuff, real time "critique" and everyone else in the room is watching him and it - you need thick, thick skin in life 2.0 - i.

eg twitter stream (read bottom up):
I'm glad this clown thinks we're smart. from web
Conference speaker just joked about not getting paid enough to talk. That takes, um, something. from web
This guy is not working for me... Not sure why. from txt
I seem to have slipped into another space-time continuum. What is the topic? from web
Did I just hear the speaker complain about not getting paid enough? You're lucky to be here, pal. from web
-----------------------------------------------------
So far - there hasn't been anything on the screen other than the lulu homepage and he seems to be talking about not making enough money for something else that he has does in the past.
- you need thick, thick skin in life 2.0 - interesting to gather student feedback on satisfaction through this *gulp*, halo effects are so last century. OK the twitter is definitely of more interest, look at this (from bottom again):

I am not following this talk either. I agree that a little more structure & prep would have been appropriate. from web
I confess I haven't spent a long time on my Rolex connoisseurship. I feel alone. from web

Let's go! from Snitter in reply
There's obviously something interesting about his experience, but he doesn't seem to have prepared to share it with us. from web
A long lulu promotion? from web
Please aim carefully. I'm up front and don't want to get hit. from twitterrific in reply got a long tail for you right here pal. from web
Where are we going with this
---------------------------------------------------------------
"I was unaware that the closing keynote writers are on strike too." - classic!!

No comments: